Changing a Charity’s Director/Trustee Information

If you’re the director, trustee, or other official of a charity, make sure the CRA is up to date on your information or they may refuse to speak with you about the charity’s matters.

From the CRA’s new webpage on changing officials’ information:

The Charities Directorate takes the security of all taxpayer information very seriously. We can only discuss a charity’s file with individuals we have on file as representing the charity. Therefore, it is in the best interest of your charity to make sure we have the most recent and accurate information available for directors, trustees, and like officials.

Although this information is included on Form T1235, Directors/Trustees and Like Officials worksheet that you submit with your annual registered charity information return, changes can happen between filings. To add a new director, trustee, or like official during a fiscal period, we need a written request that should include all of the following information:

  • charity’s name
  • charity’s registration number
  • individual’s name
  • individual’s position
  • individual’s date of birth
  • individual’s contact information (home address and telephone number)
  • arm’s length relationship with other directors, trustees, or like officials
  • effective date

Date the letter and include the printed name and signature of someone authorized to sign on behalf of the charity that the Charities Directorate has on file. Check your governing documents to see if more than one signature is required.

Also be sure to inform us in writing if a director, trustee, or like official no longer represents the charity.

Comments are closed.