Changing a Charity’s “Authorized Representative”

Outside of any directors/trustees/officials that they have on file for a charity, the CRA’s Charities Directorate will only talk to “authorized representatives” about a charity’s matters.

From the CRA’s new webpage on authorized representatives:

The Charities Directorate needs consent from a charity or applicant organization to communicate with a representative for charity-related matters. An authorized representative can be an employee, volunteer, or another individual such as a lawyer, accountant, or bookkeeper.

To add or change the name of an authorized representative, you can:

Date the letter and include the printed name and signature of a director, trustee, or like official that the Charities Directorate has on file.

Also be sure to inform us in writing if an authorized representative no longer represents the charity or applicant organization.

Comments are closed.