Are you looking for information on starting, continuing or operating a Federal or Ontario not-for-profit corporation?
Through this website the lawyers of Drache Aptowitzer LLP, one of Canada's leading law firms in the area of not-for-profit and charity law, will provide you with information necessary to create and maintain a Federal or Ontario not-for-profit corporation. Whether you are thinking of incorporating a non-profit or seeking to "continue" an existing one under the new Federal law, we can assist you at every stage of the process.
What you need to know about the new Federal Act:
On October 17, 2011, the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act (the "NFP Act") came into force. This law establishes a new set of rules for federal not-for-profit corporations and will replace Part II of the Canada Corporations Act (the "Old Act") which has governed federally incorporated non-share corporations since 1917. As of October 17, 2011:
- All new applications for incorporation must be made according to the rules set out in the NFP Act. Click here for more information on creating a new federal not-for-profit corporation.
- Every existing Federal not-for-profit corporation will have to obtain Articles of Continuance by October 17, 2014. Failure to do so could result in dissolution of the corporation and potential forfeiture of the corporate assets. Click here for more information on continuing your corporation under the NFP Act.
1. We would be happy to answer your questions and assist you through the transition process. Our first priority is to provide you with the information you need to comply with the new rules of the NFP Act.
2. We are here to review your governing documents and to advise you on the issues that arise from replacing them. Whether it happens to be related to your corporate governance or charitable status, we can point out the potential pitfalls moving forward under the NFP Act.
3. We can efficiently prepare your forms, customize your by-laws and draft your organizing resolutions so that all you need to do is review and sign the paperwork. You can rest assured that continuance will not only be hassle free, it will be error free.
4. We file your documents with Corporations Canada and liaise with Industry Canada now and in the future. This may include filing your Annual Return and other required forms as needed.
5. Finally we will report back to you outlining the things you need to know in order to comply with the NFP Act and safeguard your charitable status.
Please be advised that this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice. If you have questions for a legal profession, please contact us